- Facilitating coverage of smaller factories employing 10 or more persons.
- Enhancing age limit of dependant children for eligibility to Dependants Benefit from 18 years to 25 years.
- Extending medical benefit to dependant minor brother/sister in case of IPs not having own family and whose parents are also not alive.
- Streamlining the procedure for assessment of dues from defaulting employers.
- Providing an Appellate Authority within the Corporation against assessment to avoid unnecessary litigation.
- Continuing medical benefit to insured persons retiring under VRS scheme or taking premature retirement.
- Treating commuting accidents as employment injury.
- Streamlining the procedure for grant of exemptions.
- Third party participation in commissioning and running of the Hospitals.
- Opening of medical/dental/paramedical/nursing colleges to improve quality of medical care.
- Making an enabling provision for extending medical care from under utilised ESI hospitals to other beneficiaries covered under the Rashtriya Swasthaya Bima Yojana introduced by the Ministry of Labour & Employment w.e.f. 01.04.2008 or any other scheme framed by the central government, on payment of user charges.
- Reducing duration of notice period for extension of the Act to new classes of establishments from six months to one month.
- Empowering State governments to set up autonomous Corporations for administering medical benefit in the States for bringing autonomy and efficiency in the working.
- Insurance Inspectors will now be known as Social Security Officers.
SUMMARY OF PRESENT INITIATIVES IN WORKING OF ESIC